Monday, May 18, 2020

A Walk in the Woods


Omer Day 44
Shabbat Bamidbar
Torah: Numbers 1:1 - 4:20 / Haftarah: Hosea 2:1 - 2:22

“A Walk in the Woods”

Dear Friends,

How can I travel when we are in quarantine?  How can I hike the mountains and valleys, the deserts and forests when we are sheltering in place?  The latest answer is virtual hiking.  Yes, I have been on the treadmill in my basement lately with a TV in front of me watching Youtube.  What I found are virtual hiking videos – essentially someone straps a GoPro camera to their hat and goes for a walk. I have hiked in Hawaii, Bryce Canyon, Olympic National Forest, and all the way to Havasupai Falls in the Grand Canyon.  What a joy.  I found that walking in nature, even virtually, allows me to think, meditate, dream, and ponder – all the things I do when really on trail.

This week’s Torah portion is called BaMidbar – In the Wilderness.  It refers to the Children of Israel travelling through the desert from Egypt to the Promised Land.  The book tells of all the events that helped shape them into a people worthy of entering the Land of Israel.  It is a book of transformation from slaves to free people.  All this happens in the wilderness.

As the weather warms, find some time to get out into nature – either actually or virtually.  Experience the healing and nurturing powers that a walk in the woods can bring the heart, mind, body, and soul.

Zay a Mentsch – Be a Good Person.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Eitan Weiner-Kaplow

No comments:

Post a Comment