September
24-26, 2014 / 1 Tishrei 5775
Rosh
Hashana
“Reflecting
Your Light”
Dear Friends,
As we prepare to begin a New Year, I share this
prayer by Ruth Brin, of blessed memory.
May the New Year bring us renewal, inspiration, growth, and
learning. May the New Year bring us health,
happiness, and prosperity. May the New
Year bring us closer to God and performance of righteous compassionate deeds.
Footnote
to a Rosh Hashana Prayer
by
Ruth Brin z”l
Like the rays of the late afternoon sun,
Slanting through the trees, shining on each
separate leaf,
You shine on us, our God,
And like the leaves we reflect Your light.
I Thank You with all my heart
For the presence of Your spirit, which is life.
I pray You not to withdraw from me,
I pray You not to depart from me, though I am
unworthy,
I pray You let me pray to You.
How can I love You, who are so far away?
How can I know You, whose face I have not seen?
How can I approach You, when I am laden with guilt?
I can love some of Your creatures,
and so love something of You.
I can know some of Your world, and so know
something of You.
I can approach You with repentance and prayer and
righteous deeds,
But I can do none of these, my God, without Your
help.
Help me to love You and know You and pray to You
That this my existence may become a life,
A life that like a leaf in the afternoon sun
Reflects Your great and golden light.
L’Shana Tova – Wishing everyone a good New Year,
Rabbi Eitan Weiner-Kaplow
No comments:
Post a Comment